Sunday School from 9:15 to 10am. We are handicap accessible.
SERENITY MEMORIAL GARDEN!
It will feature, in addition to bushes, plants, and bench(s), etc., engraved bricks given in memory or in honor of loved ones. it will be a continuing project...so more can be added at any time.
Memorial Garden Engraved Brick Order Forms are available in the Narthex for single and multiple orders.
Pricing $50 each per 4"x 8" brick.
Any inquiries please call church office at
Interested in learning more about our involvement with the community? Sign up today and get all the latest updates sent directly to your inbox.
OUR MANY MISSIONS
Collamer United Church is involved in many community missions:
We have made up Survivor Kits to be distributed
to the homeless that you see on the street corners.
These contain water, granola bar, toiletries,
handwarmers, hat and socks.
Once a month a visit is made to
Sunnyside Adult Home to celebrate
We provide cupcakes and fellowship.
We have a bank set up for donations
of spare change that supports
Ronald McDonald House.
We collect food donations that we donate
to St. Matthew's food bank which serves
the East Syracuse area.
Every year in conjunction with the
ESM School district we provide Christmas gifts
to three needy families.
In the Spring and Fall we participate in the
highway cleanup program on a one mile
portion of Fly Road.
190 Years Ago…
The first roots of Collamer United Church were planted in 1828 when a Methodist Circuit rider, Rev. Seth Young, visited the little cluster of houses known as Britton’s Settlement. His purpose was to gather the Christian people together and form them into a class, which was the custom of the early Methodists in communities that were not strong enough to support a church.
A tavern, a blacksmith shop and a few houses (scarcely more than cabins built of logs) constituted Britton’s Settlement. Only five months after the class was formed, a subscription for the erection of a church, was started. The building was started in 1829, but not completed until two years later.
Methodist church as it stood in front
of the cemetary on Route 298.
(a house stands there now.)
The Presbyterian Church was formed some 14 years later in 1842 by the Rev. Richard Cleveland (father of future US President, Grover Cleveland.) The building was erected in 1843 at a cost of $600.00 One of the founders was Orlando Spencer, (great, great grandfather of current members Lois Hale Klein and Carol Featherly Gilkey.)
Presbyterian Church as it stood on
what is now the corner of
Law Dr. and Route 298.
The Methodist and Presbyterian churches were an important part of the village that eventually became known as Collamer. Spiritual growth was accomplished individually as well as jointly through combined services and religious education in the little two room cobblestone elementary school house, (which, by-the-way is still standing: it is the house at the corner of Loucks Rd. and Rte. 298 across from Collamer Stop and Shop.)
As the years went on, it became evident that our needs would be better served by uniting. Collamer United Church was formed on October 17, 1974 following congregational voting in both denominations.
Nineteen years later, on July 18, 1993, ground was broken for our new building at 6865 Fly Rd. The first service was held on June 5, 1994.